Do it online (external site)
Who can use this service
- You are 16 years of age or over and you live in Lambeth.
- You have lived in Lambeth for at least six weeks prior to applying (released prisoners, those fleeing domestic or gang violence, people living in council temporary accommodation or registered care projects are excepted from this requirement).
- You are in receipt of either: Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based type only), Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related type only) or any type of Pension Credit.
What you need to know...
The emergency support scheme is only available to you if you are:
- experiencing a crisis or an emergency
- being resettled into the community following a period in institutional or residential care
- need support to prevent you from entering institutional or residential care
- a family under exceptional pressure
- setting up home as part of a planned resettlement.
We provide this support through:
- High street vouchers
- Food vouchers
- Fuel payments
- Second-hand furniture
- Refurbished white goods
- A handy-man service
- Removals and storage service
You can't apply if:
- You have received an award of crisis support under the Emergency Support Scheme within the past six months.
- You have received a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Budgeting Loan or Community Care Grant for the same items requested in the past 12 months.
- You have received an award of community care support from the Emergency Support Scheme within the past 12 months.
- You are seeking support for an excluded item.
- You are an excluded person, such as a person in a hospital, care home or prison, unless you are about to be discharged in the next two weeks.
- You have failed to pay a previous loan from the Emergency Support Scheme paid through the Credit Union.
- You are eligible for a short-term benefits advance or hardship payment from the DWP.
- You have received a Care Leaver’s Grant or Section 17 grant for the same items with the last 6 months for a crisis, or 12 months for a community care need.
- You are subject to immigration control and are not claiming a qualifying benefit. People subject to immigration control can only claim crisis support in a disaster situation.
Applying for the scheme
To apply for help from the Emergency Support Scheme, please complete this application form.
If there are special circumstances which mean that you are unable to complete the application form online, please contact our call centre on 0345 302 2312. Please be advised that there may be a delay involved if calling the call centre.
Receiving your decision
You can submit your application at any time, but it will only be assessed during normal working hours - 9am to 5pm on Mondays to Fridays. We will make a decision on whether to award your application based on your eligibility and your reasons for applying. We aim to make a decision about your application within 24 hours for crisis support and 72 hours for community care support.
You will be sent a decision letter by email or post, depending on the information you provide. If you are successful, we will let you know how your award will be made and what to do next.